Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Computer Vs Chalk

I did my practicum in SMK Bukit Baru, Melaka. I was really lucky to get the school as the school was not far compared to my other friends who were posted in Masjid Tanah and Alor Gajah.

My mentor, Mr. Mohd Noor was really helpful. I still remember when I asked him, "Sir, for how long have you been teaching?" He replied, "Not that long, 30 years." Wow! 30 years! Then, I asked him, "Sir, do you really love teaching, since you have been in this field for 30 years?" He answered, "Frankly speaking, no! When I was at your age, being a teacher was the only choice I had."

Up to now, I'm still thinking, am I going back to school? To teach. Yes, to be a teacher. People say that teaching is a fulfilling job. When I was doing my practicum, I realised that teaching is not an easy thing to do. I had to prepare many things. Yes, undeniably, my students really loved it when I brought in a laptop in the classroom. They like listening to songs. However, using a computer is not a panacea. The traditional method of teaching is still relevant!

My mentor said, he believed in 'Chalk and Talk' method since he has tried the other methods, but none of them worked. However, it was just his personal opinion. He told me that I'm still young and have the energy. So, he wanted me to try. Try to apply all the theories that I've learned in TESL years.

Later, when I have the chance to teach, I will try to use all the methods and decide which method is the best. We'll see. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment